This month, we remind our patients to take steps to have a plan to detect breast cancer in its early stages and to encourage the women in your life to do the same. This plan can be as simple as performing regular breast self-exams and scheduling your clinical breast exams and mammograms based on your age and health history.
The American Cancer Society recommends that women without breast symptoms who are 40 and older should have a mammogram every year. Beyond mammograms, our CDI centers in South Miami and Aventura offer advanced Breast MRIs. MRI excels at imaging soft tissue and is therefore recommended for women with higher risk levels for breast cancer.
Is a Breast MRI Right for Me?
Use these guidelines developed by the American Cancer Society to help determine if you should talk to your doctor about a Breast MRI exam.
Recommended Annual Screening Indications
- BRCA1 – Women with this gene mutation have a 60-80% chance of developing breast cancer over a lifetime.
- BRCA2 – Women with this gene mutation have a 40-80% chance of developing ovarian cancer over a lifetime.
- Women with a first-degree relative who is a CRCA carrier, but who is untested.
- Women with a lifetime risk of breast cancer of 20-25% or greater.
- Women who have had radiation to the chest area between the ages of 10-30 (usually for Hodgkin’s Disease).
- Evaluation of suspicious clinical or imaging findings that remain indeterminate after a mammogram, ultrasound and physical exam
- Finding the extent of infiltrating ductal carcinoma and infiltrating lobular carcinoma
- Contralateral breast examinations in patients with breast malignancy
- Evaluation before, during and after neo-adjuvant chemotherapy
- Evaluation pre- or post-lumpectomy
- Suspected tumor recurrence in patients with or without post-operative tissue reconstruction
- Checking for breast malignancy with primary tumor unknown (MRI can usually see the exact location of a mass to save the breast)
- Checking for leakage in silicone augmentation (verify insurance coverage prior to exam)
If you need a Breast MRI or 3D mammogram, take advantage of our Comprehensive Breast Care Center (“CBCC”) for the best treatment options in South Florida. We specialize in early detection of breast cancer, provided by a fully trained staff and team of Board Certified Radiologists. With locations in North Miami Beach, South Dade, and Aventura, CBCC has South Florida covered when it comes to advanced breast cancer screenings. Call us at 1.800.371.0002 to schedule your appointment today.