MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) is a common procedure used to find out different ailments in the body. MRI Miami is a powerful test which helps doctors in analyzing if a tumor is cancerous or not. Strong magnetic field and radio waves can be used to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within the body. MRI is a painless procedure in which a person lies down on a table and table goes to a tunnel-shaped machine. The machine is called an MRI scanner and it doesn’t use any harmful radiations.
What are the uses of an MRI SCAN?
MRI scan is used to take pictures of internal organs of the body; it helps in identifying various conditions-from torn ligaments to cancers. MRI scans are used to check various defects in the brain and the spinal cord. MRI is a powerful tool in the screening of breast cancer, and various other cancers are detected on an MRI scan. Whenever there are injuries of joints, doctors recommend MRI to evaluate the condition. Fibroids and endometriosis in women are best detected on an MRI. MRI helps evaluate liver problems.
How do you prepare for an MRI exam?
- Do not wear any metallic jewelry
- You will be asked to remove the belt and watch
- If you are claustrophobic, tell your doctor beforehand, you will be given medication to relax your nerves.
- If you are having a color contrast MRI, you will receive an injection of contrast liquid in the vein of your arm.
- You will be alone in the procedure room, the technician will observe you through a glass panel, and he will take the images on a computer screen.
- You might be provided with earplugs as an MRI machine makes loud noises.
- The procedure takes around one hour.
Things to tell your doctor before the scan
You must let your doctor know if you are pregnant or are breastfeeding. Doctors don’t recommend contrast dye for pregnant women. Therefore, it is essential to discuss with your doctor beforehand. MRI scans are generally not advised in the first trimester.
MRI scans are considered safe and have no side effects as such, but some people get headaches, nausea from contrast material.
Claustrophobic people find it difficult to enter the MRI machine.
MRI scans are extremely useful tools to find out various ailments in the body. At imaging center Miami patients are made to feel comfortable by the friendly staff.