In Computed Tomography (CT) scan multiple X-rays are combined to create cross-sectional images with the use of a computer system. CTA uses CT scan along with an injection of contrast material which helps to see blood vessels clearly. CT scan and CTA imaging are outpatient procedures and do not require more than 60 minutes. CT scan Miami helps to understand the overlying conditions of many diseases. CT scans are very good at showing soft tissue, bone and blood vessels.
What do the Computed Tomography and Computed Tomography Angiography show?
- Blood clots
- Brain damage after an injury
- Brain tumor
- Ruptured aneurysms
- Narrowing of the spinal canal
- Herniated discs
Who performs the test?
An expert radiologist is responsible to perform CT and CTA scan.
Are there any risks associated with the test?
The radiation used in CT and CTA is minimal so that it doesn’t affect the body. After the scan is over, no radiation stays in your body.
However, there is a possibility of an allergic reaction from the contrast dye. Always tell your healthcare provider if you are allergic to certain things, you’ll be provided with medication to lessen any effects.
If the contrast material leaks around IV site, there is a possibility of irritating blood vessels under the skin. If you see IV leaking or experience immense pain, tell your radiologist right away.
If you are suffering from kidney problems, contrast material may damage your kidneys, it is important to tell your physician if you are suffering from kidney problems.
Breastfeeding moms are advised to wait for 24 hours after the test to nurse the baby.
If you are pregnant, do tell your healthcare provider before the test.
If you are suffering from any other ailment, notify your physician.
How to prepare for CT and CTA
- Wear comfortable clothing for the test
- Tell your physician if you are suffering from any allergies
- If you are having the scan without contrast, you can drink and eat as you like. However, if you are advised the contrast scan, it is advisable to stop eating three hours before the scan. If you are on any prescribed medicines, you can take them as advised.
- Patients suffering from diabetes should eat light three hours prior to the scan. The patient might be asked to discontinue diabetes medication for 48 hours after the exam.
CT and CTA is an important test performed at the center for diagnostic imaging Miami. The test can help to find the ailment and helps the physician to develop a treatment plan.